Narod Children’s Library
The Narod Ardhaldjian Children’s Library was opened in the neighborhood of Bourj-Hammoud in Beirut, Lebanon on March 30, 1996. The library aimed to encourage the educational and cultural development of inner city Armenian children living in the Armenian enclave of Bourj-Hammoud.
The library project was one of the few unsolicited patronage projects that the Narod Institute undertook by providing seed funding to the Armenian Relief Society to remodel and convert an existing inner city apartment into a children’s library. We believe that reading and a library environment is fundamental to the proper growth and development of children especially in areas deprived of parks and other entertainment facilities.
As a patronage project, the Narod Ardhaldjian Children’s Library is not part of Ani & Narod Memorial Foundation’s portfolio of operating projects. Patronage projects are unsolicited proposals/projects made possible by ANMF seed grants.
On March 30, 1996, the Narod Institute, along with the Armenian Relief Society of Lebanon, held a grand opening led by Mr. Tsolag Tutelian, mayor of Bourj-Hammoud.
The Narod Ardhaldjian Children’s Library, the only one of its kind in the Armenian Diaspora, is open daily from 9:00am to 1:00pm and 3:00pm to 7:00pm during the summer session and 3:00pm to 7:00pm during the winter session. Today, it services more than 100 inner city children on an ongoing basis.
Educational activities are scheduled on a regular basis. The activities are divided into three age groups: ages 6-7 learn the Armenian, Arabic, and English alphabet, storytelling workshops and Armenian history; ages 8-10 work with study groups on the Armenian language and social sciences, focus on reading and enjoy drawing and crafts; ages 11-16 discuss Armenian history, language, and present short presentations of book reviews.
Related News & Media
- Aztag: Narod Library Opening January 17, 2011
- Massis Weekly: Millenium Armenian Children's Vaccine Fund to Co-Finance Distribution of Pentavalent Vaccine in Armenia November 13, 2010
- Armenian Reporter: Ani & Narod Foundation Aids Armenia Immunization Program October 24, 2010
- Public Radio of Armenia: MACVF Receives $10,000 Donation from Geragos & Geragos to Bring Life-Saving Vaccines to Armenia’s Children October 1, 2008
- United Nations Development Programme: Visits in the UAE March 29, 2008
- Azbarez: MACVF Receives $10,000 Donation from Geragos & Geragos to Bring Vaccines to Armenia’s Children January 11, 2008
- Aztag: MACVF Continues to Support Health Partnerships in Armenia June 25, 2007
- Azbarez: Millennium Children’s Vaccine Fund Meets Avian Flu Challenge in Karabagh June 9, 2006
- MACVF Biannual Publication Winter 2005 December 20, 2005
- MACVF Biannual Publication Autumn 2005 September 1, 2005